The Canon EOS 70D Camera is the latest addition to the Canon family. As the name suggests, Canon has named all its line of auto-focus SLR cameras under the EOS (Electro-Optical system) name.
The camera is a mid-range DSLR and is built to suit in the video making. When compared to its previous version 60D, the 70D has NFC sharing, Wi-Fi capability, touch screen capability, a 3-inch LCD display and a higher megapixel count (making it 20.2).
But the real difference is in the Dual Pixel CMOS focusing system that would add more value to this camera’s capabilities.
The technology that makes Canon EOS 70D unique is its video capturing in Live View smoothly with auto focus that is as precise as that of a camcorder and at the same time not compromising on the image quality, which is a characteristic of the EOS cameras.
Its combined features in offering both movie capture and still images is unmatchable and no other camera can be as successful as the Canon EOS 70D.
This Canon EOS 70D review will discuss about the best features of the camera, how it is advantageous over its competitors and some of its negative points.
- 1 Best Features
- 2 Tips and Tricks
- 3 Negative Points
- 4 Advantages over competition
- 5 Conclusion
Before getting into the detailed discussion of the best features of the Canon EOS 70D review, here are some key features as given in the specifications, at a glance.
- 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
- 19 point cross-type AF System
- Up to 7 fps shooting
The new Canon EOS 70D camera has a lot of exciting new features and is sure to attract all the camera lovers around the world. Here are some of its best features in detail.
- Wireless Connectivity: Sharing images has never been too easy. Wi-Fi is becoming one of the essential features and Canon 70D gives the ability with its inbuilt Wi-Fi feature. The Canon EOS 70D camera has an inbuilt wireless transmitter that helps the users in transmitting the images to other digital devices more easily.
Connecting to computers via wireless mode, to other cameras with Wi-Fi facility and Wi-Fi printers is now easy. The camera’s shutter speed and aperture can also be controlled by making use of a smart phone.
- Improved Performance in Still Photos: The camera has 20.2 megapixel CMOS sensor that produces accurate and sharp image. Even in low light condition, the images are spectacular. In High Dynamic Range mode, the camera has the ability to merge three images as one image resulting in recreating accurate photographs with a range of tones.
Complex functions are made simple with the help of Scene Intelligent Auto mode, where one can optimize the photos and give best results even in varying lighting conditions. There are also seven filters available – Grainy Black and White, Soft Focus, Fisheye Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect, Art Bold Effect and Water Painting Effect. These filters can be used in the same image to see the effects post-shooting.
- The Full HD Movie Mode Performance: The face detection and tracking AF during the video recording is continuous and accurate. The lens noise is considerably reduced during video capturing and thus, there is more clarity while capturing the sound of the scene being captured. The camera also has a built-in microphone. When the user chooses the EOS movie mode, there is an option to use the 1080p HD video which places the camera on par with other EOS cameras.
- Compatibility: The Canon EOS 70D is compatible with all the Canon lenses, including the EF-S lenses, which are compact and light weight in nature. It is also compatible with the STM series of lenses that helps in quiet, smooth and continuous capturing of video. The camera is also compatible with popular memory cards like SD, SDHC, SDXC and UHS-I. The compatibility with these kind of memory cards complement for the sleek design of the camera.
- In-Built GPS: The camera in itself has an optional GPS receiver that can record the location (including the latitude, longitude and altitude). For photographers who are on the go and who take the risk of going to secluded places, this camera is perfect. There is also an electric compass in the camera. Through GPS syncing, world time information is recorded in the camera.
- In-Built flash: The impressive part of the built-in flash is that it works as wireless commander.
- Sleek Design: When compared to the 60D model, the 70D is more narrow. The front and back of the camera is same as that of 60D. But the front of 70D is replaced by stereo mics. Also, the back of the camera has a live view/movie mode controller and a switch to lock the rear dial. While bulky cameras are a bit difficult for the photographers to handle, the 70D has narrowed down the camera body and also have got rid of the front facing microphone. Though this camera is not fit into the pocket, it certainly is simple in its design and more user-friendly.
- Friendly Design: The screen of the camera is only 3.2 inches which is quite optimal for viewing the shots. The pain of using the buttons are reduced by the touch screen facility. The screen is a flip-out screen and makes it easier to shoot videos. Though, the features of the camera are complex, the camera is so simple to use so that even an average person will be able to use the camera to take high quality pictures with much ease.
- 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
- 19 point cross-type AF System
- Up to 7 fps shooting
Canon EOS 70D is the best camera for anyone from a novice to a professional shooter. The trick is in using the techniques in the right way.
Tips and Tricks
– By choosing the right mode between the two zones, Basic (having features like Intelligent Auto, Flash, Special Scene modes) or Creative (having control over light sensitivity, aperture and shutter speed), both beginners and professionals can take advantage of the features.
– The Creative Auto mode is for anyone who like effects and like to have fun with filters. Whether you play with vibrant colours or monochrome, this one is right for you. But it can be applied only while taking the picture.
– The High Dynamic range is useful when there is a huge difference in the lighting conditions. In such contrast conditions, the same picture is taken at three levels of exposure and then merged into one single image where the image is properly exposed.
– The ISO is recommended to be set in Auto. To fine tune the ISO, the levels can be set up to 6400 in poor lighting condition.
– Another interesting feature is the exposure compensation. This is turned up when image editing is not desired.
– In Low light situations, it is better to pick a pre-set such as Daylight to adjust white balance.
– Choosing the best lenses is also an important factor that would do wonders. Choosing EF lenses is best.
The Conon 70D is certainly worth the money spent. But we have to take a note of few points which sometimes fails to impress the audience.
- If the subject to be photographed is slow in movement, then its fine. Because the Live View AF used in the camera is much suited for subjects that are slow moving.
- The viewfinder is bright with a coverage of only 98%.
- There are a few faults with the filter setting though its impressive as a whole. Some of the faults are 1. the creative filters can be used to create only JPEGs. 2. Cannot use filter while using view finder 3. Cannot be used while shooting raw files.
- The dial is smaller when compared to 60D. Though not completely termed as negative, the comfort may vary from person to person.
- Auto dimming sensor is not provided as compared to rebels.
- Single card slot.
Advantages over competition
Canon EOS 70D, though, not officially designed to be a professional camera, performs most of the functionality of a pro camera. It acts like a camcorder during video shoots by auto focusing and tracking the subjects. It might not sound a big deal but sure it is. The adjustable LCD is simply above all. It can be flipped 180 degrees to your heart’s content and still do the tracking shots (Not found in other models).
The price is certainly a killer deal no other competitor can offer. The buyer gets the benefit of touch screen, a long battery life, use of a much cheaper media, a built-in flash, a built-in Wi-Fi and a fast processor at an unbelievable price. Let us not forget the flexibility of sing more than 220 types of lenses.
Many of the new features introduced in the Canon 70D camera makes a big difference.
- The Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus is a phase detection auto focus system is the one that stands out of the rest.
- The continuous shooting speed that reaches 7 frames per second.
- There are also connectivity features that are more advanced in this camera that it is much more simple to control the camera remotely.
- The touch screen feature that makes it more easy and simpler to handle.
- Built-in Wi-Fi.
The Canon 70D camera is usually compared in the market against the pro DSLR competitors and entry level DSLRs.
When compared against the professional DSLRs, the advantages are listed below.
- Touch screen that reduces the usage of buttons and also thus, making the camera sleek.
- A flip out screen that is advantageous while shooting videos.
- It has an in-built HDR that enables to focus continuously in the time of recording videos and auto focusing ability.
- Inexpensive compared with other pro DSLR cameras.
- Compatibility with around 220 lenses.
- Size of the camera is relatively small.
- Continuous focus on recording movies.
When compared against the entry level DSLRs, the advantages are listed below.
- The viewfinder is slightly larger and ideal for viewing the images.
- Touch screen.
- The 70D camera is weather sealed so that it can be used in even extreme weather conditions without causing any damage to the camera and its functionality.
- A flip out screen.
- Continuous and faster shoots of 7 fps.
The Camera is well-built, sleek, comfortable and capable. It gives the user excellent results, especially while working on raw files. The camera has a lot of settings to adjust the contrast and saturation for tweaking according to the user’s taste.
The combination of touch screen and physical controls make it a very comfortable camera to work with, as it is very easy and simple to control the camera. Though many professional photographers discourage the idea of touch screen, it is really worth to give it a try as it is highly responsive.
Canon EOS 70D, as a whole, is worth the money spent. It certainly leads in the APS-C cameras. The auto focus system is excellent. The streamline shooting design is seamless. It is a best all-rounder which is easy to handle and also fast in its performance.
The image quality has improved when compared to the previous versions of Canon though not on par with its rebels. But when the overall functionality is looked into, it is well above its competitors. Though the camera is still to be chosen by people who consider ultimate image quality, it is the certainly the best camera for independent film makers and video fanatics, who gives more weightage to the seamless and accurate auto focus.
It combines comfort, simplicity and all the modern technology desired by any camera lover.